Logo

Just took apart theolForce

tshelton99

Contributing Member
"This is a '90 Force 90 Hp

"This is a '90 Force 90 Hp outboard, I had Hopes and plans on repairing,I found that it would need #3 cylinder repaired but I would not go any farther until I could be sure the electrical system checked out to be OK, well after many ours of trouble shooting checking every connection with a Voltage meter, I finally traced it back to the safty kill on the dash was stuck,,, Ha! so I fixed this problem and now I find good spark at all the coils, so I decided to go ahead with the plans of boring out the bad no.#3 cylinder, so I spend the better part of today removing the power head and then splitting the case and removing all parts, Now once the pistons are out I could get a more clear view of whats going on, the #1 & #2 cyl. both had stuck rings and galled pistons,
that I did not expect. although the cylinders looked ok with maybe a fresh Hone to be all needed, But I knew that #3 was pretty bad off, and sure enough! a ring had snaped and run the cylinder wall scaring it very badly, and another thing I found, the bearing cage was in 3 pc's although all the rods were good and tight on the crank and at the wrist pins,
so here is where I stand! I can either dump this engine and find another used one? or go ahead and see if this old one can be bored out enough for a rebuild? maybe go ahead and bore all 3 cyl to a 30* over because I think the pistons may be out of round now.. what would You Do ?
Thanks for any advice..."

"Tim,

I have used quite a f

"Tim,

I have used quite a few machine shops and find that Precision Wholesale Marine is one of the best. I used Custom once and had nothing but trouble.

Tony"

"Update: on the Force engine,

"Update: on the Force engine, found that the gouge was too bad to clean up with a 30* over bore,
and sleeving was not recommended although the
Boat machanic was very helpfull he offered to sale me a new Powerhead, 2500 bucks,, yeah right!
crazy.gif
"

Best to part out the FORCE and

Best to part out the FORCE and find a rebuilt 3 cylinder 70hp OMC from mid 80's for about $2000.00 and you will be way ahead.Get a one year warranty on that sort of motor.

I Bought a 1990 bayliner/w a 9

I Bought a 1990 bayliner/w a 90hp force in a box.
I just bought a clymer now where can I get special tools for piston assembly and anything elselike that?

Back