Logo

just rebuilt motor

just rebuilt 95 200hp evinrude 2 stroke. fired it up and a little smoke. thought things where fine. started up 3 times so far and let come up to temp for 5 minutes and today I noticed a oil leak from front top motor mount location. is oil not recirculating. has new oil rings top and bottom and seals. no longer using vro for last 5 years. maybe I missed something with oil recirculation or is it common during breakin perion? the leak is at the top by the bolt from just above

Attachments

• IMG_20160618_150227.jpg
    IMG_20160618_150227.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 55
While the engine is running spray soapy water on the intake manifold and the crankcase halves and oil recirc fittings looking for bubbles. I take it it smells like fuel also?

This may not be the cause of your problem but it's the most common.

That portion of the engine is the top main motor mount area.

In past experiences that I've encountered, a leak such as that was always due to the powerhead base gasket being damaged at the sealing point between the exhaust outlet chamber and the motor mount area... becoming noticeable mostly after the engine has been tilted.

This is common problem, caused by accidentally hitting that gasket when lowering the powerhead down.

yeah, going to pull power head to make sure where is leaking from. was just hoping that it was not uncommon for a little oil leakage during breakin. one of those "i already kinda know this ain't right"

Back