Logo

Just For The RecordA Winter Story

knuckle47

Advanced Contributor
"Several weeks ago I was faced

"Several weeks ago I was faced with the decision to get the boat behind our house to a place closer my real house about 40 miles north. While debating the idea, I watched the weather waiting out calm seas for the trip towards Toms River or Brick which is 65-70 miles out to the ocean, up the coast and into the Barnegat Inlet.

Another option I do like is to keep it in the water year round. The fear of a big snow and the inabilty to drive south, due to the snowy roads, to brush off snow before it become ice or water laden additional tons of weight was another issue.
Sure enough...for those of you outside the northeast corridor ...the prediction along the coast is for 12-16" of snow Saturday into Sunday.

One of the problems I wrestle with from the last few years is having had some rather warm winters thru January...so, I think of the later option...TODAY, I am glad she is on the hard."

"..."TODAY, I am glad she

"..."TODAY, I am glad she is on the hard."

Lord yes! Mine too (in Elkton, MD).

Jeff"

"Jeff,

How much snow do you

"Jeff,

How much snow do you get so far? They are CLAIMING we may have 15-20 by Sun AM"

I have a 36' Pacemaker Spo

I have a 36' Pacemaker Sportfish and a 25' Catalina sailboat in the water with about an inch of snow on the ground so far. They are claiming about 15" total. Guess I picked the wrong winter to stay in

"Its' 7:11pm here, power h

"Its' 7:11pm here, power has not gone out yet so..we have about 8" or so about 6 miles east of Great Adventure in Jackson, NJ

Our driveway is a 1/3 mile dirt road..I have to go out every few hours to pack the snow down with the truck in case we really get pounded. In 30 years ...never owned a plow"

Al....

Ever thought of gett

Al....

Ever thought of getting a "V" drag and pulling it down your lane. Easy to do with some 1" x 12" 8 footers with some cross braces.....add a little weight to the "sled" and at least you have something to spread the snow to the edges..

Used to have one on the farm...before the advent of cheap snow plows.

"Al:

As of last night ~ 8pm

"Al:

As of last night ~ 8pm, we had 18+ inches around here. Some areas accumulated drifts at least 36" tall - One of the feeders disappeared and it is three foot tall.

Like Rich, we are still floating (hoping) and I don't expect to be able to check until tomorrow.

Good news is no power outages and no internet breaks. Few downed trees but they were only a matter of time. One across the driveway. Guess it is time to get back out there to continue the shovel task....at least it is more powdery than the usually mid-atlantic 'wet stuff'."

"It's horrible here. West

"It's horrible here. West wind at 15-20 miles per hour and 60 degrees. I'm still in shorts and a T shirt, though, getting the engine/transmission put back in the boat.
Cheers!
DD"

"Don, I love that idea... yea

"Don, I love that idea... years ago with my FJ-40 Land Cruiser, I bolted a piece of plywood to the front bumper (1976) and it worked for most snow under 8"-9".

Mark, I didn;t know you were still in.. Had we been in and dropped this much snow ??? Bad enough the enclosure is still up ? As for the light snow...you're right...fluffy enough to shovel without droppping to the ground after a while

Dave, I did see a few picture of the Ft. Lauderdale area with 12 " of water on the ground. I guess shorts are good in that case !
"

"Just arrived home from our su

"Just arrived home from our summer house...Cape Cod, 16 inches of snow, Boat was nicely tucked away thank goodness!!!"

"No clue what the offical tota

"No clue what the offical total was, but I think at least 2 feet. I spent the day riding around on my tractor (Kubota 4240) pushing snow and taking in money. The wind is making deep drifts and the ends of driveways are packed in from snow plows. All I know is the boats are still floating and I'll be doing some digging there tomorrow."

"Al,
My boat is still float

"Al,
My boat is still floating but I threw in the towel and ran 5 gals of pink on each engine saturday at 10AM. I did get out one last time on Friday for nada black fish.

I missed getting the covers over her and still have that to do. Heading out later today to shovel and broom out!

I tell you one thing... I wont be late for the spring run. I seem to be dragged my feet getting things done to be dropped into the water every spring... that cannot happen this way..."

"Good for you Scott. I know 2

"Good for you Scott. I know 2 years ago it was 65 in January and Stripers were STILL out there. We are ALWAYS late in the spring...One year, JUNE...thats because we drag our feet too...The weather is cold, we put off working on it, then BANG..its 60 degrees out and suddenly its MAY. Now that our ocean access is Little Egg Inlet, we may have a week EARLIER to fish???"

"Last year it was JUNE for me

"Last year it was JUNE for me too, because I had to glass the engine hatch that rot out.

So far I'm impressed with the marina. They have us all together and bow facing north. Due to strong wind I had no snow stick to anything except aft of my radar arch.

Needed to remove snow from the 12 x 8 open area.

If I had built my tarp frame and installed the tarp the way I am planning I would have been fine.

Let you guys know how I go for my first year in the water."

"Cockpit of my 36' Pacemak

"Cockpit of my 36' Pacemaker. This is one single storm and pics are taken two days after.
url]

Just for refrence, the front tire is 29" tall.
url]
"

Back