Logo

Johnson V4 SeaHorse Steering Problem

pat

I have a 1979 Johnson V4 SeaH

I have a 1979 Johnson V4 SeaHorse 115hp outboard motor. The motor will not turn unless I un-hook the steering cable. The rod that the steering cable connects to is somehow froze in place. I've tried prying on it to knock it loose but it won't budge. Was wondering if you've had a similar problem to mine and would greatly appreciate any help. Thanx.

"Pat.... You are undoubtedly r

"Pat.... You are undoubtedly refering to the steering arm being frozen within the engine steering tube. If this is due to the outer (large) rod being seized, I have had some luck freeing the steering by doing the following:

Remove the steering rod as you have done. Grab the portion of the steering rod just inside of the part that swivels (the part that swivels is the part the steering arm bolted into). Move the vice grips up and down slightly as someone else applies pressure to the steering wheel. Spray WD40 as needed. Hopefully the shaft will free up whereas you can then remove it from the engine steering tube, clean the tube, etc etc.

The alternative is to cut that expensive cable, pound it out of the tube, clean the tube, then install another steering cable. Good Luck...

Joe
"

Back