Logo

Johnson Super Seahorse some info needed

J

Jack Gardiner

"Heres what ive got, serial nu

"Heres what ive got, serial number 2414026 model number RKL 265 My question is what size and what year is this, was purchased as a 1964 40 hp
Also this is the Electramatic, it has charging circut and electric start. overall condition of this motor is extremly good, original paint still covers a good 80% of the prop, the skeg is pristine, compression is to me what seems like post breakin condition very strong. one drawback is it does not have controls, id like to have tiller steering if at all possible, but i could also add a steering wheel if its impossible, what would i need for controls?? would it be worth it to build my own, or just hunt old ones for this down??? or aftermarket?? this motor is mounted on a 16' US NAVY SEAL CRRC known as a rubber duck and going open ocean fishing/diving off the coast of new england. just waiting for the ice to thaw
"

" Jack,

A 1964 Johnson 40hp

" Jack,

A 1964 Johnson 40hp electric shift would be model RKL-26S, and I don't think there is an easy way to convert it to tiller control.

The easiest approach might be to search for a used control box. Otherwise you will have to rig some sort of switch to shift the lower unit.

Control box #379657, the original part, is no longer available, but you might find one sitting on a shelf somewhere.

Good luck.

Tony "

" Jack, in addition to Tony&#3

" Jack, in addition to Tony's reply.... the tiller setup you speak of would consist of the OMC handle (kit) assy part #377949 which unfortunately is no longer available since 1988, and at that time list for $63.50. This kit also included the short shaft and gear which would be installed on the engine portion, part #377273. A contradiction of sorts exists as although the kit is no longer available, it may be purchased in individual pieces to make up what you need. See any OMC (Evinrude/Johnson) dealer... it will be located in their accessory catalog. Other than this, I'm afraid that the alternative is to scan the dealer areas for used parts. Good Luck. (Joe - 30+ years with OMC) "

Back