Logo

Johnson seahorse 15hp 15R77M wiring help please

motiondave

Contributing Member
Hello good people, I gave up with my 25HP evinrude as it has all sorts of problems
I got a running 15HP johnson seahorse today.
It was running in a video, and I picked it up an hour later after video was posted
the wiring is this
one thick red, one thick black wires (battery Id say)
One thin red wire (apparently touch the red with this and it starts the engine via the starter motor, or so the guy says)
One thin white wire
One thin brown wire

Can someone please be so kind as to advise me of a start engine wire diagram.
It has a kill switch already wired up on the motor housing, so I will splice two more wires in to another kill switch at the front

Kindest Regards, David Lane.

Black and red ( 10 gauge ) wires are the battery connections

But the wire to stat the engine should also be 10g because there is no solenoid according to the parts lists or the wiring diagram and it therefore carries the full stater motor current
Maybe someone has added a solenoid so that lighter wiring and starter switch can be used. Check this out but if there is no solenoid make this wire 10g also and fit a start switch capable of carrying the full starter motor current

( see the accessories section in the engine diagrams on this site to see the Evinrude/Johnson parts)

Sorry cannot identify the white or brown wires. Not wiring for a kill switch I suppose although if correctly color coded they would be black. You will have to trace these wires back to see where they come from.

You will find a wiring diagram in the (Seloc) manual on the Boatinfo website. Sorry MarineEngine will not allow me to post a link.

Last edited:
thanks again Vic, its mostly the starter wire, so thats out f the way, I will have a look to see if there is a solenoid fitted, despite being a 77 model, theres been a lot of updates done on it.
Ive been trying to navigate and find the manuals, unless im looking at it wrong, but I only find links to buy a manual.
EDIT, I think I figured it out now, requred flash player.
ok , thanks again for the help

Back