Logo

Johnson piston failure mode?

easeup

new member here and just found the forum while looking for help. I have a 75Hp 1983 version that lost compression in #2 while 1 and 3 remain at 126psi.
I went in and found #2 rod journal trash and the 2nd ring on the piston broken. There is plenty of sign of heat in #2 components. I will order parts and proceed with the rebuld except the real failure mode is not clear as to which came first and why. Attached is a pic of the #2 piston head with strange circular color pattern. I perceive all dimple marks are after the bearing/ring broke. #1 and 3 have normal carbon deposit on the tops and appear OK. what does the braintrust out there say? thanks for your input.DSCN0414.JPG

At 49.6 cubic inches there is a lot of load on the parts.----Couple that with poor quality oil / wrong prop / lack of water pump impeller replacement and there you have it.-----So you need a crankshaft , rod and 3 new O/S pistons.----Clean carburetors and complete inspection of cooling system.----Do not forget inspection of lower unit gears and bearings and a seal kit.

Looks fine or measures fine ?----Pictures ?----Picture of the crank journal and connecting rod bore ?------Do not have proper tools , then have your local machine shop / marina measure the 3 cylinders for you.----More that 0.002" worn and it is rebore for O/S pistons.

yes sir repair plan is as you have stated. However I am still curious about the color pattern on the piston head and what it should be telling me. Has anyone seen this sort of thing?

I will try to get more pics soon

finally had a chance to log back in and get some pics uploaded. We are in TX. It does seem to fit the idea of rod journal bearing first out as one can see impact on the bottom of the skirt and rod pin sleeve housing from the crank counter balances.DSCN0420.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN0415.JPG
    DSCN0415.JPG
    998.5 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN0417.JPG
    DSCN0417.JPG
    955.2 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN0419.JPG
    DSCN0419.JPG
    980.9 KB · Views: 12
Crankshaft is scrap.-----Rod for #2 is scrap.-----Need to bore and hone for next O / S piston and rings.----Do all 3 cylinders.

Back