Logo

Johnson J75TRLCIM Shift Shaft Seal

Does anybody have a trick to install the o-ring in the shift shaft cover, P/N 388651. Cost of new part is 200 bucks, o-ring = 10 cents. There has to be a way to get that the o-ring into the groove.

Use a sharp pointy tool to pry out / remove the old o-ring.--------Install the new factory part # o-ring by working it into the groove.----Do this simple procedure all the time.

A piece of piano wire or something similar with the end rounded off will do it. Use a shot of WD40 to give you a helping hand.

Im thinking that the oring is too big, I've struggled for over an hour and given up. I did check to make sure that the oring groove is all cleaned out. Have you ever tried to press out the bushing?

???---You do have the shift cover off the lower unit so that you can get a good look at it I hope.----Takes just 1 minute to put that o-ring in !!------------Squeeze it together and push it in and then work it into the groove.---------The factory o-ring does appear to be too big to a novice.--------And yes the bushing can be knocked out , but there is no need to.

Last edited:
Yes I did remove the cover to inspect it, do you start the oring from the top side or underside? Every time I is squeeze the Oring it just goes right through the bushing.

Don't mean to belabor this - I cant throw in the towel in on one silly o-ring.

I have to ask, is the old o-ring out of the cover ?-----When it is part way through you use the match stick to start it into the groove.--------Just nothing to this wee job.

Yes I am a novice and no I did not take out the old oring. It was buried in so deep that I could not see it. After looking again it came out in about two minutes and the new one popped right in. I knew something. We learn form mistakes, thanks guys.

Back