Logo

Johnson Fast Strike 150 fuel issues...

Baxter83

I've posted on here before and got a lot of good info, so maybe y'all can pull through once again...

In short, my symptom seems to be fuel starvation. Don't know if it's a leak or what. It'll start, idle, and blast off, but once at WOT it'll start to peter out and surge. If I back out of it and hold at lesser RPM's it's fine and will buzz around ok, but I want it to run its full potential. Pumping the bulb helps.

Powerhead was rebuilt 4 years ago, but it only ran the first year and a half or so before this issue and I really haven't used it much due to not being able to figure this out. I had it in a shop a month ago, and they're the ones that thought it was the flywheel. They checked compression and all 6 were within range (Can't remember the numbers). They also ran it from a gas can and no change. They said that the flywheel fixed it and charged me just under $600 for labor, but that didn't fix it. I'm not going to blast them, but I won't recommend them either.

Since last summer I have done the following myself:
-New fuel line from pickup tube to the fuel bracket filter. (white cone shaped filter). I just rechecked this a couple weeks ago to make sure I didn't leave a kink or something.
-Two new primer bulbs
-Rebuilt all 6 carbs with needle/seats, gaskets, and new bowls
-Replaced spaghetti gaskets
-Replaced primer solenoid, and all associated diaphragms/seals
-Replaced vapor separator seals/gaskets, float, needle/seat
-Replaced VRO with stand alone pump, then bought a used/rebuilt VRO (Thought the aftermarket pump was bad)
-New stator
-Replaced flywheel (found a few ships in magnets when replacing the stator)
-Replaced power pack (twice)
-New plugs this spring

Back