Logo

Johnson "Commercial" outboard; what's the difference?

Mystic Mariner

I recently picked up a 1991 Johnson 45hp, rope start, tiller outboard. I have to admit it's a beast. But what exactly did Johnson do that made them "commercial"?

Decals -------And marketing.-------Some commercial models such as the 2 cylinder , used the 3 cylinder lower unit.-----They also did not come with oil injection or power trim / tilt.----And often used recoil starters.------Internal engine parts were the same as regular motors.

Decals -------And marketing.-------Some commercial models such as the 2 cylinder , used the 3 cylinder lower unit.-----They also did not come with oil injection or power trim / tilt.----And often used recoil starters.------Internal engine parts were the same as regular motors.
Thanks, I compared the lower unit of mine to my buddy's 40 hp twin and mine's huge. I think they did use the one off the 3 cylinder. Mine only had pull start, but the flywheel had a ring gear so I bought a used starter and solenoid off eBay and for $65 I now have electric start that works perfect.

The 2 cylinder gears and gearcase are not robust.----Break teeth off the gears with no warning.----Pinion gears and clutch dog are known to shatter.

Back