Logo

Johnson cold starting issue

Hey guys, I have a 1986 Johnson 90hp J90tlcdc. Basically whenever I'm done using the motor, I run it out of gas to clear the bowls and such because it may sit for a while before used again. When I try to cold start the motor, it seems to require some cranking, not a whole lot but a little more than what I'm seeing on youtube. I am pushing the key in and have the idle pushed up. Also while it's cranking it's like there's no gas at all, not the typical faster rotation while it's trying to start, but it just cranks normally, then vroom! I'm wondering if it's just normal because I run it out of gas, or maybe I'm doing something wrong. After it starts, it runs great, at idle and wot, no issues whatsoever, and if I shut it off, it starts right up. I can let the thing troll at idle for a half hour and it doesn't stall or load up. Plugs, and wires are good however I have not dove into the carbs, and I'm running it at 50:1 with the VRO bypassed. Thanks for any info

Running it out of fuel is the best thing you can do to keep carburetors clean.-------When you operate the primer biulb you fill the carburetors again.--------You need to check and see if the electric primer is working properly.------Turn key to " on " and push the key in.-----Do you hear a click ?

Back