Logo

Johnson Acceleration problem

yensmp

I have a 1989 90hp Johnson. Last fall I got the oil pump removed on the advice of the local marine mechanic, who suggested just using mixed fuel. When I took it out the first time this spring it seemed like it idled fine in neutral out of water but when I put it in the water didn't seem to have any power under load as soon as I put it in gear. Did some checking and saw some suggestions that it might be that only 2 cylinders were working. Checked that all out, replaced plugs. Took it out again and same problem. I had someone else in the boat so I took the cowling off when it was running. When he pushed throttle forward to full when we were in gear, it would only go up to around 2500 rpm. But I could manually push the throttle arm and get it to accelerate just fine that way. Would this be an issue with the cables or would the mechanic have changed something last fall? Or something else?

If you can obtain full throttle simply by advancing the engine's throttle linkage by hand.... pretty obvious that something has been moved and not put back where it belongs.

Back