Logo

Johnson 70 serial and carb number missmatch - What do I need?

Neavesie

First of all thanks for all the valuable info I have obtained in this forum.

My issue is my new boat with a Johnson 70. I need to rekit the carbs but all the numbers I have are mixed up maybe so I need advice on what I actually need to order a new set of carb kits.
Heres my current info:
Make: Johnson 70 3 cyl
Year: 10/1997
Model: BJ70TLECB which translates to a 1998

But the 3 carbys I have are all #439452 which is actually listed on this site here for a 2000 Johnson 70 J70PLSSD
Members on this forum say this motor requires carbs #394810 for carbs 1 & 3 and #394811 for carb 2.

Seems to me the old carbs got replaced with a newer model for some reason???

So the carby kit 0396701 to suit BJ70TLECB will probably be wrong Im guessing so what kit or part numbers do I need?

My best guess is the 0396701 - Carburetor Kit with Float for the carb #439452 is what I need.

Thanks in advance :)

Same carburetor kit from 1983 to 2001 models.----There is not much that goes wrong with the carburetors.-----Why do you want to rebuild them.---Have you done a compression test?-----If so , post the numbers.

Cheers thanks for that.
All 3 cylinders are 103-105 psi. The boat has been sitting for a long time befor I got it and opening up one carb it looks like someone had let an ape at it, everything over tightened, jet needle pitted and gaskets perished. Hence just rekitting so I know its good from then on.
Currently the motor losses power at peak revs and I have looked at most thing I can find so far. Once I know the carbs are ok ill check the fuel pump and water pump. Work in progress.

Back