Logo

Johnson 60hp VRO. starting problem!!!

Hi to all that was helping me. i was at the boat today and its starting 1st time every time lol now i know how it works lol thanks agen every one. yours are legends :)

Joe,When I turn my ignition key,the red switch(primer?) on the engine doesn't move.If I take the top off motor and gently turn the primer counterclockwise and then back after trying the ignition,it will then start.At least I know how to start it when it gets cold.But its a bit annoying when on the water. I just wonder if there is something mechanical that could be done to make that primer work properly.Additional info-just bought the motor.Its a VRO but that is disconnected so I mix the oil with the gas.I wonder if when whoever disconnected the VRO that somehow that affects the primer/choke.

Last edited:
No--------The red lever does not move when you push in the key.----------That unit is an electric valve.--------It opens and fuel is sprayed into the engine via those little hoses when cranking with key pushed in.

No--------The red lever does not move when you push in the key.----------That unit is an electric valve.--------It opens and fuel is sprayed into the engine via those little hoses when cranking with key pushed in.

Thank you racerone.I just left it with a good mechanic after explaining the problem.The ignition switch was missing a few small parts near the key insert.He will straighten it out for me so the electric current gets to where its supposed to...Thanks again.Big help.

Just like to say what a brilliant post, my evinrude 60 flooded all the time and coudnt work out why....primer lever left in wrong position...Thank you.

Back