Logo

Johnson 60HP idlemixture

jafa39

Regular Contributor
"My 1981 2 cyl 60HP Johnson is

"My 1981 2 cyl 60HP Johnson is in the middle of me servicing it but according to the manual and my observation, there are no idle adjustment screws, just blanking plugs....is it possible to play with the idle mixture on these carbs?"

Only by changing jets.
As You

Only by changing jets.
As You are in the middle of 'servicing':
How about impeller and thermostat? They might be a case of unstable idling.
When was carbs cleaned out last time?

"So, it should just keep the s

"So, it should just keep the same mixture all its life or should one play about with jets?

I cleaned the carbs and thermostat is new. Thanks to this forum I have found the problem to have 2 components...first was the NGK plugs! I put L78V's in and it starts better and idles on 2 cylinders all the time.

Second thing is the huge amount of play in the throttle spindles making it run weak. Is there a bushing kit available or shall I just take it to my tame engineer??"

"That engine should run on QL7

"That engine should run on QL77JC4 plugs.
The color of the plugs after extended idling will tell You what to do about the idle/intermediate orifice.
Whitish -go up, fouled go down.
But before You do any adjustments, do a good de-carb of the engine with Sea Foam or engine tuner. Follow the EXACT instructions on the can, no 'but'."

"The chart I got on this forum

"The chart I got on this forum listed L78V as an option and my local marine mech always fits them when that option is listed.

Plugs too new for the colour check but will do it once i have done a few hours but I reckon i need to to sort the spindles before i swap jets.

Thanks for the advice though, my workshop manual completely ignores the subject!"

I have a 78 55 horse eveinrude

I have a 78 55 horse eveinrude that has not been run for aprox. 12 yrs.I was able to get it started but it runs very rough.any advice? should i fill the cyl.w/oil to lube the rings?

"Start by cleaning the carbs o

"Start by cleaning the carbs out, if the rings were stuck it probably wouldn't start at all."

Back