Logo

Johnson 60 HP 1964 Lower unit

S

Scott Medinger

This motor came with a boat I

This motor came with a boat I just purchased and the lower unit is disassembled because of worn out dogs on the forward gear.I have a manual coming to help put this thing back together. What I would like to know is what other year motors and or horsepower motors have the same lower units. The model # is VXL-10S

"Scott.... Although the engine

"Scott.... Although the engine is a 1964 V/4 60hp, there are two type lower units that will fit it. One is refered to as a heavy duty unit which is actually the lower unit that was used on the 1958 and 1959 50hp V/4s. This unit had a skeg that was attached to the unit with 8 or 10 screws (I forget how many). Removing the skeg allowed the gears etc to drop out of the housing.

The other lower unit gearcase was a one piece housing that attached to the upper gearcse with two studs, whereas the gears etc had to be removed out of the rear of the gearcase.

Either gearcase is interchangable on all of the older 50hp,60hp,75hp V/4 Evinrude/Johnson engines from 1958 to 1968. Where are you located?

Joe
"

The motor I have has a lower

The motor I have has a lower skeg with two long studs so I guess I have the standard unit.
There does not appear to be any damage to anything but the forward gear so I am guessing it will be more economical to fix the one I have. But until I get my manual I am not sure I was given all the parts. Thanks for any help you can give me. I am located in Sheboygan Wisconsin.

"Scott.... Yes, that sounds li

"Scott.... Yes, that sounds like the standard unit. Those two studs must be torqued exactly. Look for the torque specs in the manual when you receive it. If you have questions about the unit, I'll try to answer them. My reasoning for asking where you were located is that I have a completely rebuilt unit such as what you have and I'm going to let it go for $300. However, I'm located in the Tampa Bay, Fl area and I'm not prepared to to ship it. Just though if you were in this area, it might be of some use to you.

Joe"

" I found some gears for sale

" I found some gears for sale on e-bay that look like the ones I need. The seller does not know what they fit but he does have the part #'s.
The #'s are 377146 , 305210 , and another part I am not sure what It is called, the piece on the end where the prop shaft sticks through, 377885.Where can I find out If these parts will fit, the auction ends in a couple of days.
Thanks

Scott "

"Scott... The prices I quote h

"Scott... The prices I quote here are from a 1999 OMC price book. The part #377146 is listed as a "Bearing and Bushing" which listed for $139.64. I have no idea what that fits but it isn't listed for your unit!

The part #305210 I can find listed nowhere. Are you sure that's a correct number?

The #377885 had a list of $86.45 and is called a gearcase head, and that will fit your unit.

The proper part numbers of the gears and shifter dog if needed with their 1999 prices is listed as:
Forward Gear - 377870 - $225.39
Reverse Gear - 303074 - $165.82
Shifter Dog - 307095 -> 312054 - $67.30

Joe
"

I am looking for a pump impel

I am looking for a pump impeller for a Johnson Sea Horse Model No. VXL-10S. The part number is 377992. Does anyone know where I can find one?

Back