Logo

Johnson 55HP mod 55EL79 pumping proplems

"johnson 55 i bought a few mon

"johnson 55 i bought a few months ago had proplems with the gear shift, i sorted all that out thanks to joe,
while i was at it i checked the waterpump, even though it pumped plenty of water to begin with. dismantiling the waterpump seemed to destroy the existing gaskets, the impeller seemed in really good condition though. so i just used some gasket sealant to replace the water pump seals.
the next day, i put it all back together stuck the watermuffs on the inlet holes with the hose on full and fired it up! to my amazment there was only a trickle of water running out from where it should be squirting out.? so i turned it off and took the lower end of again. tested for blockage by puting the garden hose on the lower pipe. water was flowing out the overflow tube ok but not the outlets? .should i take the side panel of it and check the thermostat? any suggestions would be great, Thanks.
116798.jpg
"

Some hoses do not supply the w

Some hoses do not supply the water needed for a " proper " test. Therefor test it in the river or lake.

"ok. will do london marine.tha

"ok. will do london marine.thanks
thumbs_up.gif

Selleys Auto Fix - Silicone R.T.V. InstantGasket.
: resist aging, temprature(-50c to 205c),water, oil, grease and vibration.
use on oilpans, rocketcovers, gearboxes, waterpumps, differential & thermostat housings, timing chain covers, lawnmowers, tractors, boats ect:
...is this a suitable gasket sealant?"

in the 'above picture'

in the 'above picture' the motor was 'not running'
leading me to my next question. does the motor have to be running to pump water out the outlets?

Those are idle relief ports an

Those are idle relief ports and the exhaust pushes a " mist " of water out.So the motor must run for this.

The motor must be running AND

The motor must be running AND You must have either the engine in a barrel or at sea (Exhaust back-pressure) to get water out in full ammount.

"i fiqured it out after readin

"i fiqured it out after reading up on an old post.
i replaced the exhaust housing seals when i repaired the waterpump seals. this caused the majority of the water to come out the exhaust.where it should come out!
biggrin.gif
"

Back