Logo

Johnson 55hp idle adjustment screws

johnson 55hp starts fine with

johnson 55hp starts fine with the warm up lever on at the control box with a little bit of choke.though when i push the lever down to idle in neutral it wants to stall.i noticed 2 idle adjustment screws on the carb. should i adjust the throtel lever some more or should i use the idle mixture/adjustment screws?

"Steve...
There may a slight

"Steve...
There may a slight bit more going on than meets the eye....but not too much more. If the engine used to start and idle fine, but it doesn't idle anymore, there must be a reason for that. Cranking around on a carb screw just masks the problem. I wouldn't play around too much with the mixture screw at this point. You may have a varnish/gum-up problem going on. I'd try spraying some carb cleaner down the barrel of the carb to soften things up in there. Start it up and give it some more while it's running. Don't flood it too much while its running or risk the whole hydraulic lock up syndrome. Throw some fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank just as you would in your car and let that start working from that end. If the mixture screw is easy to get at, take it out (engine off), counting the number of turns it takes to get it out, and spray some cleaner into the screw hole to clean that up. Re-install the screw, counting the turns, and see how it goes. Don't crank that screw too far in to cause a lean-pop problem. That raises cyl. head temps and that leads to a whole other set of problems. If it doesn't start getting better, then turn up the idle speed screw a little and keep your eye on it if it starts to run too fast in the future.
OMC has tune-up cleaner to use for it or try Seafoam. If not get some regular auto carb cleaner.

Wrench"

What idle screws are you tryin

What idle screws are you trying to adjust??? The parts diagram does not show idle adjustment screws for that motor ( 79 55hp )at all. It has fixed jets.So either you have different carburetors or a different motor.

"hi wrench.
thanks for your h

"hi wrench.
thanks for your helpfull tips.i will try all the above that you mentioned.the motor had been sitting awhile before i bought it, so might just need a good clean out.thanks again"

"hi london marine,
heres a pi

"hi london marine,
heres a pic of the carb.im not exactly sure of the model.cant read the info plates.<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.marineengine.com/discus/icons/attachment_icon.gif""" align=left alt=""image/bmp"">johnson 55 carburetor
[url=""][b]Johnson 55 carbi.bmp[/b][/url] (98.8 k)</td></tr></table></center>"

There is something wrong here!

There is something wrong here! Your picture does not show the intake silencer found on a 79 motor.So either you have older carburetors or someone put a newer cover on an old motor> It is not that uncommon.

Back