Logo

Johnson 50hp tach problems

Tb3625

If you don't want to read the background info on this motor skip to the 2nd paragraph.
My 1999 johnson 50hp model J50PLEEA has was not running right as of a couple weeks ago. I rebuilt the carbs because they had crap in them, I used a rebuild kit cause the gaskets were all old and cracked. There was also a spark jumping around the boot and grounding at the block when it was running, so I replaced both plugs , the wires and boots and it took care of the problem. The old boots were stretched and the new boots were much more snug. Tried starting the motor and it idled okay at best. Took it out on the water and it surged at WOT. My friend pumped the primer bulb while running and it stoped surging. So I got rid of the vro pump and converted it to a normal fuel pump, I always premixed anyways. Tried to start it and it wouldn't idle. I opened up the carbs to find little pieces of black rubber from either the old vro pump diaphragms deteriorating or pieces of fuel line. I replaced all the fuel lines and then cleaned out the carbs again. Started it up today and it idled pretty good.

Then I look at the tachometer and it wasn't working. When I turn the key for power the needle bounces a bit and then when the motor start the needle barley moves to 200rs. The tach has always worked good and then all of the sudden today it does this. I checked the voltage to my battery while the motor was idleing and my battery voltage doesn't change with the motor running. So the motor is not charging the batteries. Also I used a multimeter to check it, and tested on the diode setting on the voltage regulatorRed to yellow .503v
Red to 2nd yellow .506v
Red to grey. 1.907v
The purple wire when attached to everything else shows zero.

I have done some research and the tach not working points to my voltage rectifier being the problem. Is there anything else it could be beside the rectifier?
I keep chasing problem after problem and am tired of throwing parts at it.
Thanks in advanced for any help!!!!!!!

Back