Logo

Johnson 50 hp 2004 has some one else had my problen

wave rider

Hi all
i have been on this forum many times, trying to find the answer to this problem
o k my outboard still runs away.i turn the key to start the engine it ticks over lovely.wait 5 mins for it to get warm then in to gear and rev it up. when returning the trottle back to nuteral the engine carries on running at high reves, even turned the key to the off position
my question is has eneyone come across this before if so how did you fix it?

decarb motor,is this 2 stroke yes check timing. we need modle number to go further. to answer your question most marine tecs have. carbon build up on pistons can burn like a pice of coal igniting fuel uncontrolby due to high rpms the the vacume in the engine draws fuel up through the high speed venturies this is a runaway.

Clean/rebuild the carbs. Take special notice of the needle valve and float height.
Another thing is that the engine might be in need of a decarb Use Engine Tuner or Sea Foam to get rid of carbon deposits that might start to 'glow' and give ignition to the fuel sucked in.

Hi haffiman
YOU ARE MAGNIFICENT THANK YOU SO MUCH.:)
It was the hight of the float causing all my problems.
£400.00 uk pounds later and 3 weeks waiting for a marine machanic to find that little
fault.Well i must say my outboard with all the work done on it runs like brand new.
If i can give you good feed back i will.
once a again thanx.

Back