Logo

Johnson 48HP Retainer Ring Removal

JMATTNC80

Hey guys, have a 1990 Johnson 48 on a 16' Privateer I recently picked up.

Need to pull the Bearing Carrier assembly. I have tried everything!!! Heat, pullers, etc.

Ran across of photo of a gear casing for this year model on Ebay and noticed there are threads at the edge of the gearcase housing. Does anyone know if there is a threaded retainer ring holding the Bearing Carrier assembly in? I have removed all the bolts. I have yet to see a threaded retainer ring on any parts diagrams I have seen. If so, does anyone have a part number for the ring or could anyone point me in the right direction for a tool to remove it?

Here is the pic I found of the gutted housing on ebay, note the threads along the edge.

housing.jpg

Last edited:
There is no threaded retaining ring !!!----Is this a salt water motor ?-----If that is a yes , than corrosion products have jammed it.

Last edited:
There is no threaded retaining ring !!!----Is this a salt water motor ?-----If that is a yes , than corrosion products have jammed it.

Thanks for the info racer. It was not a saltwater motor for the majority of its life. It's been in salt 5 times in the last 4 months, from my understanding salt can corrode that fast. Any tips? I've read to use ATF instead of PB blaster then get some force on the puller and add a little heat. Have also read use map gas or propane for the heat instead of acetylene. Saw your input on another post about pulling the carrier and you may have been the one to say it. Problem is, every manual says 5/16" threaded rod but the threads on the carrier are 1/4 so the the threaded rod bends anytime I get any pressure on it. I don't have access to a strongback so I am using a pulley puller.

Those 2 cylinder motors use a 1/4 " threaded rod !----The 3 , 4 and 6 cylinder use 5/16 "-----You have to use the right manual / procedure and not all U-tubeos have correct information !-----Yes , the 2 cylinder " commercial " models use 5/16" and that is because they use a 3 cylinder gearcase.

Those "threads" as you call them, are not threads. Did you find a couple of retainers when you removed those 1/4" bolts? Item #22 here Evinrude Gearcase Parts for 1990 48hp E48ESLESA Outboard Motor (marineengine.com)

yessir I did. I saved them because I knew what they were. As for the 1/4” I realized they were not 5/16” before I started. Going back at it tomorrow to try to pull it out with the puller. Shade tree guy here but familiar with boats and outboards just not older stuff. I appreciate the info. Hopefully I can get it to break loose tomorrow.

Back