Logo

Johnson 40 HP without a generator - charging system?

LymanJohnson

[FONT=&quot]I have a 1960 Johnson 40HP outboard. Model RDS-22. I am refinishing an old wooden Lyman boat and getting ready to put it in the water. I've never run the motor in the water, but have barrel tested the motor and it runs fine on short tests.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It does not have a generator, but has electric start. I'm having a hard time identifying how the system recharges. What different charging systems will it have? Also, is it possible that there is no charging system?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thank you.[/FONT]

The only charging system available in that era was the belt driven generator.-------The battery would only be needed to turn the motor over.----A full charge on a good battery lasts a long time on a motor that starts properly.

Thanks raceone. That's what I was afraid of. Are there options like adding a regulator/rectifier? and if so, any recommendations for this year/model? I'm adding electronics- gauges, stereo, depthfinder, etc. and don't want to draw down the battery on the water.

The electrical stuff available today is mind boggling.------Some handy person could likely fit a small alternator from a Honda , Toyota , Kia or similar.

Back