Logo

Johnson 35hp Charging problem

lwrd81

I have a 1984 35hp Johnson. It has quit charging. I need to find a way to test the stator to see if it's putting voltage to the rec/reg assy. I know on a Mercury, you test the 2 stator wires coming from under the flywheel. It puts out ac voltage. This stator wiring seems to have 3 wires and i dont wont to burn anything up. Also when the battery gets week the boat will not run wide open. Could this be caused by lack of voltage as well? Thanks for your help.

I don't think the battery being weak would affect the motor running at WOT. your battery gives power to the starter to engage the fly to start your motor, the motor does not run off the battery...

It's definitely got a charging problem, the starting battery was fully charged. After cranking it a bout 6 times in 2&1/2 hrs. it was dead as a hammer. It runs fantastic at wide open throttle till the battery gets week. May be another problem ie vaccum leak on fuel somewhere. I just need to figure out what the problem with charging is.

on my 1980 25hp Johnson there is a yellow stator wire and a yellow/grey stator wire. I hook the ohmmeter black to yellow stator and ohmmeter red to yellow/grey stator wire. then leave the black ohmmeter to the yellow stator and remove the red ohmmeter from the yellow/grey and hook the red up to the yellow/blue stator wire.. for low ohms .35 .1 ohm and 0.2 + .1 ohm

I pulled the cowl and I have a yell/gray a yell/blu , and a yellow cominng from the stator. Does any one know which two to test while the engine is running with an AC meter, and what the voltage output should be? . If its working then its got to be rec/reg.

I pulled the cowl and I have a yell/gray a yell/blu , and a yellow cominng from the stator. Does any one know which two to test while the engine is running with an AC meter, and what the voltage output should be? . If its working then its got to be rec/reg.
negative(black on meter) to yellow stator lead, positive(red on meter) to yellow/grey stator lead. your alternator should be putting out close to 5 amps at WOT.

Back