Logo

Johnson 35 pre season checks

garry

Hi
I have just been given a

Hi
I have just been given a 35HP Johnson Outboard
Model: J35ECSM
I Think this is a 1980 Model but could someone please confirm this.
It was serviced last October but I would like to know what to checks to make before I fire it up as it was stood over winter without any preperation. Many Thanks
Garry

"Garry.... OMC's code is t

"Garry.... OMC's code is the word INTRODUCES so in your case, J=Johnson,35=hp, E=Electric Start, CS=80 (1980), M=Length of shaft, etc. CHeck the gear lube to be sure that water or metal filings aren't present in the gearcase. Fuzzy black filings are okay, but splinter like pieces of metal are not. CAUTION - DO NOT remove that "Philips Screw" from the lower unit as that is a pivot point for a shift lever. If you remove that screw, the entire lower unit will (in most cases) need to be dismantled. Check the lube at the lower, large regular type screw. In changing the lube, use "Hi Vis" lube and fill from the bottom until it appears at the top large sloted screw of identical appearance.

Check the compression and make a note of it. After running the engine, check it again... it will most likely give a higher reading which will be the norm. Also check the ignition with the s/plugs out. The spark gap should jump a 7/16" gap and be a strong blue flame.

After sitting for the length of time you mention, if you encounter any problems such as hard starting, poor throttle response, dead spots when applying throttle, or if the engine simply dies out when throttle is applied.... remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor. Carburetors on an outboard are notorious for becoming gummed, fouled, and varnished if they sit for a month or more. Let us know how you make out.

Joe
"

Back