Logo

Johnson 30 not rev up

I'm not sure what you mean by spark should jump 7/16 open air jump? But now I have some more information for you...
The compression test was showing good results, around 135 psi on both cylinders.
I attached a spark tester between the plug and the spark, and it shows normal sparks at idle speed. But when I try to rev up, the spark tester only shows sparks interittently on both cylinders. I also tested with other coils without any change.

will not an expert like some on this site but here goes. electrical problem yes, my motor had about same symptoms, alittle rough idle but when about 1500 would start to break up bad, this happened twice, turned out to be the charge coil, suggest you get a manual, would suggest doing some troubleshooting not just start changing parts, but i'd say charge coil under flywheel, look up your motors part break down on this site and look at ignition.
also you'll see the power pack under flywheel, its been said design change wasn't good because of heat, might be problem too, CDI has a conversion kit to move it out from under flywheel, CDI has a good troubleshooting guide on there site

I also got a 15 hp Evinrude 1990 which I borrowed some parts with same part numbers. So far I have exchanged these parts without any luck:

Ignition coils
Stator
Charge coil

However the power pack doesn't have the same part number on these engines, so I didn't dare to change this.
I followed the CDI troubleshooting guide, but I don't think my multimeter is able to read the DVA output properly.

But since I changed every part but power pack, could it be something else?

looking at parts list, yes there different numbers but both are CD2's but the 30 hp pack has rev limiter, the 15hp no, maybe just for a test maybe not up to you, but if getting new p/p get the conversion( its in stock, others ones have to wait for)
both forums? i like this one for easier parts ref

looking at parts list, yes there different numbers but both are CD2's but the 30 hp pack has rev limiter, the 15hp no, maybe just for a test maybe not up to you, but if getting new p/p get the conversion( its in stock, others ones have to wait for)
both forums? i like this one for easier parts ref

Ok, what do you mean by "CD2's"?
So I will not damage anything if I test the 15 hp power pack?

so first off as said before I'm not an expert, So as to your question " I will not damage anything if I test the 15 hp power pack?" I DON'T KNOW 100% .
CD2 for me is the power pack, on my motor(1987 48spl)the ignition is 5 basic electrical parts, spark plugs, coils, charge coil, sensor, and power pack.
your 15 and 30 has only 4 parts, s-plugs, coils, charge coil, and power pack. note: best i can tell 1989 the sensor and power pack were combined in one unit and put under flywheel like your 2 motors. 2 cylinder motors have some same parts as you have said and used. power packs have change like adding rev limiters, and slow mod's( if over heated or no VRO oil, rev limited to under 2000rpm's to try to save engine) on this site the power pack for your 30hp has this info from OMC, description reads " [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Roboto Regular, Geneva, Lucida Grande, Helvetica Neue, sans-serif]These kits provide a method of eliminating wire abrasion and possible damage to the ignition module on 1989 thru 1991 4 thru 55 HP Evinrude and Johnson outboards." this leads me to think it would work , but its your call [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Roboto Regular, Geneva, Lucida Grande, Helvetica Neue, sans-serif]some of the senior contributors may chime in soon, the same guys from that other forum.
[/FONT]HELP!

Hey scalhoun! I found out that it was the power pack! I tested with the 15 hp power pack and now it revs up as it should! So I will put it back on the 15 hp and order a new one for the 30 hp.

Appreciate your help, and thank you for your time!

Back