Logo

Johnson 25 hp Manual Tilt Problem

gogittum

I also have a '93 Johnson J25TEETS that is about ready to go but I have a question about the tilt mechanism.

It has the lever on the right side by the mounting bracket. Flip the lever down and tilt the motor up - all the way up - and the right side lock will snap into place. The left side needs a little help to lock in. Fine, I can fuss with that and likely get it adjusted.

My issue is with the partial tilt lock that you'd use when running slow in shallow, rocky water - of which we have a huge amount in the Crystal River/Cedar Key, FL area. It's spring loaded with the spring holding it down out of the way. I can reach down and manually set it on the pin and it'll hold the motor in part tilt. Lift motor up slightly and it snaps back down.

I "think," but not certain, that this was a power tilt model when new but all that mechanism is long gone.

All the diagrams I've been able to find show a parts breakdown, not how the parts actually work together. My slightly older 15 hp is similar but not the same and the pieces don't match, to use it for an example to follow.

I went out a bit ago and took a couple of pics to try and help. Interesting. It rained a bit ago and it was dripping in my face. Trying to keep the camera out of it..... Anyway:

0N0271.JPG

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here. Full size picture (1000 pixels wide) is only showing as a thumbnail here. This is with the motor on the part tilt position.

0N0272.JPG

This is full tilt. What aren't I doing right with the pictures ??

Sometimes the bore that the tilt lever goes through will get partially broken. I have had to weld them up, then rebore to get things working right again. I may have a picture of a recent job if I can find that I'll post it. Just click on your pictures and they can be zoomed in so good job.
This is an older model, but should get you the idea.

Attachments

• IMG_20200731_195126981_compress2.jpg
    IMG_20200731_195126981_compress2.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Thanks. It's raining now and I'm not too eager to lay in the leaf litter on my back out there, sooo....when it dries out some I'll get back under there. This isn't an earth shaking, right now, problem, but when running very shallow it can save props.....and lower units.

Yah, and I'm at an awkward stage right now. It's been 5 weeks since he did a Laminectomy, replaced a disk and installed titanium stabilizers, using minimally invasive procedures and I'm almost beyond the pain stage. Easy to forget I've got to take it easy or be in serious trouble. The difference it's made in my life is amazing.

Back