Logo

Johnson 1989 GT 150 V6 - RPM Issue

jbpipp

When first launched, the motor starts and runs perfectly until i shut it down to fish. When I restart the motor, it will not get up on plane, and loses power. Full fuel, full oil, new plugs, new fuel line, new fuel filter. Took it to a Johnson Dealer who said there was nothing wrong with it..... Any advise?

Look closely at the stator under the flywheel. The two black coils at the rear of the stator provide approximately 300 AC volts to the powerpack capacitor... should either or both of them be leaking a sticky looking substance down upon the timer base and powerhead, replace the stator.

A stator melting down may function perfectly when cold BUT as it warm up, a voltage drop occurrs which results in erratic, weak, and eventually no ignition/spark.

Thank you! I will check.
Can compression play a role in this?
port was 95, 100,100
starboard was 85,85,85
i don't trust the marina who checked the compression, as they said nothing was wrong. Will check again.

Thank you! I will check. Can compression play a role in this? port was 95, 100,100
starboard was 85,85,85. i don't trust the marina who checked the compression, as they said nothing was wrong. Will check again.

You're showing 15 psi difference between the lowest and highest compression reading. If you're not checking the compression yourself, buy a gauge (gauges are low priced) and do the testing yourself.

Have "all" spark plugs removed while doing the test.

Obviously something is wrong... strange that the marina personnel would say it is not.

Back