Logo

Johnson 150 Faststrike Lower Unit

havuk

I have a J150GLEIS Johnson 150 Faststrike with a dead lower unit. I did a lot of research on this and it appears that my engine comes with Upper Drive Shaft 5000619 (older numbers are 435763 & 335720). For comparison purposes, in 1992, this engine changed over to a 5000615 Upper Drive Shaft number, and i went a few years above 92 and still same 5000615 shaft. There is a difference between the 2 types, mainly how they install into the lower unit, one is a pin the other is a sort of snap in clip.

Now. Heres the issue. First, im going to past information from SEI's website under tech support forums:

"Our SE306 will replace Johnson/Evinrude V6 Outboards from 1979-Current.
We use the "Ocean Pro" style water intakes. It may look different than some older models, but will function just fine.
Our unit does not come with the upper driveshaft. You will need to reuse your old upper driveshaft, or purchase a new one from an OE or aftermarket supplier. The upper driveshaft you will need will be the newer style which uses a clip to secure it."

Also, this taken from the product page of the SE 306 lower unit :

"We use the newer style upper driveshaft with a clip. If your upper shaft is not the newer style you will need to replace it. ".

So digging around and reading forums I concluded that if I want a new lower unit, they make one and they all use the "newer" style driveshaft that pushes down into the lower unit and snaps into the ring. It appears that this new lower unit is being sold by several different outlets for my specific engine. They dont specifically state to purchase the new 5000615 Upper Drive Shaft and this will work in my engine and the new lower unit. So I call SEI and talk to a tech / mechanic one named Rob. Rob tells me that I can not do this and it will not work. There is no solution for my problem that will allow the SEI 306-B lowerunit to work with my engine unless I have a custom driveshaft machined for my issue because they are slightly differnt lengths and something about the crankshaft being different and the splines will not align properly.

nI have went to all the forums and googled this issue trying to find confirmation that purchasing a 306b lowerunit with the 5000615 will work with my J150GLEIS 150 Faststrike with no success. Is anyone out there familiar with this and can steer me to the right direction? Much appreciated!

The 306B unit will work with correct driveshaft. Your driveshaft assembly can be removed and cross pin removed, and installed into replacement unit. You shaft should have 339062 etched into it. If you need the new the OEM DS is 435763 which has been S/S to 5000619. The DS will measure 24-3/4 overall and 21-5/16 from top to housing surface

Ok. Since the 306b comes ready to accept the newer 5000615 ds, wouldnt it be easier just to buy a 5000615 and "snap" it into the new 306b? Or do i have to use my old one? That way i wouldnt have to take apart the new lowerunit. new shafts only about $100. Thank you.

So the new driveshaft (5000615) snapped right into the 306b, took a piece of wood and 2 light whacks with a hammer and it clicked. Dont use the 5000619, thats the one with the hole thru the end that requires a pin. You will have to disassemble your new lower unit. The 5000615 will just snap right on it and work. Hope this helps some 1991 150 Faststrike owner when they go down this path because there was no definitive answer.

The 5000619 will work in the SEI unit ..just dont need pin and wont have to disassemble anything except old unit.

So the new driveshaft (5000615) snapped right into the 306b, took a piece of wood and 2 light whacks with a hammer and it clicked. Dont use the 5000619, thats the one with the hole thru the end that requires a pin. You will have to disassemble your new lower unit. The 5000615 will just snap right on it and work. Hope this helps some 1991 150 Faststrike owner when they go down this path because there was no definitive answer.

Havuk, thank you for posting this. I am dealing with the exact same issue. My model number is VJ150GLEIS and yours is just J150GLEIS, with no V, but I am assuming it is essentially the same model. I ordered the same lower unit from SEI that you ordered, and I am getting the same conflicting information about the drive shaft. SEI says use 5000619 with my motor, but 1) I cannot find that shaft anywhere, and 2) I've had at least three parts dealers tell me that shaft will not work with my motor.

How did the 5000615 wind up working for you? Did you get the SEI lower installed on your motor, and does it run fine on your motor? On a related note, how is the SEI lower unit working out for you? They have a great warranty, but I've seen a lot of mixed reviews.

Thanks for your help!

Joe

IA JOE you have the shaft..just take it out of you old unit, remove the the crosspin and snap it in new unit. Sold a ton of these units and only had problems with a couple...99.8% no problem ratio.

IA JOE you have the shaft..just take it out of you old unit, remove the the crosspin and snap it in new unit. Sold a ton of these units and only had problems with a couple...99.8% no problem ratio.

Thanks faztbullet, good to know! The pin is just pressed in, right? Just knock it out with a punch?

Yes but be careful as has a preloaded spring in it

Faztbullet, Thanks for all of your help. I have one more question. When I put the drive shaft in the SEI lower unit and bolt it up tight to my motor it binds up and does not spin freely in neutral. I think I need to cut about a half inch off the bottom of my drive shaft, to make it move freely. In the original lower unit it measurred 21 - 3/16" from the impeller plate to the top of the drive shaft , but now it measures about a half inch more from the impeller plate. I measured from the of the lower unit up into the motor where the top of the drive shaft would engage with the splines, and it seemed like I had a half inch of extra clearance up there, but I don't think I do because it's binding up. I think if I take a half inch off the bottom of the drive shaft, it'll work. Does that sound right to you?

I have a J150GLEIS Johnson 150 Faststrike with a dead lower unit. I did a lot of research on this and it appears that my engine comes with Upper Drive Shaft 5000619 (older numbers are 435763 & 335720).
Is it difficult for you to show me the sources you checked for your research? I have to write one (I study at university as a marine engineer), and some suggestions for inspiration would be very welcome. (And I hope it is not a problem that it passed more than a year)

Last edited:
I have a J150GLEIS Johnson 150 Faststrike with a dead lower unit. I did a lot of research on this and it appears that my engine comes with Upper Drive Shaft 5000619 (older numbers are 435763 & 335720). For comparison purposes, in 1992, this engine changed over to a 5000615 Upper Drive Shaft number, and i went a few years above 92 and still same 5000615 shaft. There is a difference between the 2 types, mainly how they install into the lower unit, one is a pin the other is a sort of snap in clip.

Now. Heres the issue. First, im going to past information from SEI's website under tech support forums:

"Our SE306 will replace Johnson/Evinrude V6 Outboards from 1979-Current.
We use the "Ocean Pro" style water intakes. It may look different than some older models, but will function just fine.
Our unit does not come with the upper driveshaft. You will need to reuse your old upper driveshaft, or purchase a new one from an OE or aftermarket supplier. The upper driveshaft you will need will be the newer style which uses a clip to secure it."

Also, this taken from the product page of the SE 306 lower unit :

"We use the newer style upper driveshaft with a clip. If your upper shaft is not the newer style you will need to replace it. ".

So digging around and reading forums I concluded that if I want a new lower unit, they make one and they all use the "newer" style driveshaft that pushes down into the lower unit and snaps into the ring. It appears that this new lower unit is being sold by several different outlets for my specific engine. They dont specifically state to purchase the new 5000615 Upper Drive Shaft and this will work in my engine and the new lower unit. So I call SEI and talk to a tech / mechanic one named Rob. Rob tells me that I can not do this and it will not work. Btw, I found info on https://studyhippo.com/ because it offers quick answers and high-quality college essay examples. So, Unless I have a custom driveshaft machined for my issue because they are slightly differnt lengths and something about the crankshaft being different and the splines will not align properly.

nI have went to all the forums and googled this issue trying to find confirmation that purchasing a 306b lowerunit with the 5000615 will work with my J150GLEIS 150 Faststrike with no success. Is anyone out there familiar with this and can steer me to the right direction? Much appreciated!

Have you found the difference between the 2 types of engine - a pin and snap-in clip? I am trying to clarify this, but I can't find enough research on the topic. Some help and tips about how you cope with it would be welcome.

Back