Logo

Johnson 150 False Overheat Alarm

brent

" I have a 1986 model Johnson

" I have a 1986 model Johnson 150 Tracker with very low hours on it. The overheat alarm constantly sounds as soon as the key is turned on. I've flushed the motor continueously to no avail. The motor is "peeing" like normal - full of intensity and doesn't appear to be getting hot. I think this alarm may be false because it sounds immediately - even before I turn the motor over. It also governs itself at around 2500 rpms. According to the manual this is a safety feature. If indeed this alarm is errant, how do I manually reset the alarm??? Any advice anyone can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Brent... "

Bad buzzer in the control box

Bad buzzer in the control box ? . Bad heat sensor in the cylinder heads. You could disconnect the heat sensers and give it a try momentarily to see if you get full rpm.

" Sparky, thanks for the reply

" Sparky, thanks for the reply. How does one disconnect the heat sensor? Is there more than one? It would probaly help if I knew what one looked like or is located ! I think it may be time to invest in a manual... "

" They are on the cylinder hea

" They are on the cylinder heads , normally a tan colored wire. Just disconnect the wire (plug) and give it a quick test run . There are two sensors on some motors and you could disconnect one at a time. "

Back