Logo

Johnson 130 v4

the cursed one

So I recently bought a 17' wrllcraft with a johnson 130 v4. Previous owner put a lot of work Into the boat but de idea to sell. He replaced the starter, starter Selenoid, wires,plugs, had carbs cleaned and gave up. I picked up with finding about 8 broken wires, bad ignition, 3 bad ground wires,new kill switch and drained 20gal of bad gas. Finally got the ignition to turn the engine over but have no spark to any of the plugs. All the wires are brand new and still no spark. Does the nuetral safety switch kill spark if it's bad? I think it os bc if I put it in gear it'll turn over and spin the problem but I was told the nuetral safety switch doesn't control spark. Was told it was probably something to do with the magneto or something in that area. I'm tired of guessing and really need a real professional opinion. No one in the Rochester NY area will work on this motor and I'm no boat engine expert. Hope someone can help me without a wild goose chase. Thankyou

Neutral switch does not have anything to do with ignition. Disconnect big harness plug and jump solenoid and see if it has spark

Thank-you I'll try that tonight snd get back to you
So I unplugged the big harness and ju.ped it amd still nothing. Also I unplugged both leads on the stator from the cdi box and used a tester and checked for continuity on all the prongs leading to the stator and only one pin on the left side gave me nothing. I believe they should all show something and one pin reads zero no matter what pin I put the other lead on. Does that mean it's a bad stator. Everyother pin on both plugs works but one.

Back