Logo

JoeNeed help with an 86 Johnson 150 hp

dan

" I actually have two unrelate

" I actually have two unrelated problems.
The first is with my starter. When starting the engine it will only stay engaged for a few seconds. The engine will usually start on the second or third try.Batteries have been charged, Do you suspect the starter itself or can something else less expensive be the cullprit?
The second problem has happend the last two times out.
After starting the engine ,warming it for a few minutes,and heading out in a no wake area (so it hasent been opened up yet)for maybee another five minutes the engine lost significant power as if it were running on three cylinders,or the fuel was restricted. After a minute or so the engine returns to normal power, although the second time it seemed slightly rough (maybee my imagination).
I have removed the VRO from the fuel system per your instructions with no problems up until now,been out five or six times prior to this.I beleive there is an antisiphon valve at my tank.Where there originaly was no intent to have oil pass through this valve, could it be deteriorating do to the two cycle oil now going trough it(I only ask because I know oil does affect some rubber products)or does it seem electrical? I know intermitent problems are sometimes hard to pinpoint. Is there anything I should have onboard to troubleshoot with if it happens again?
Thanks for any advice you can give.
Dan "

" Dan.... Check the compresion

" Dan.... Check the compresion as erratic, failing compression on one or more cylinders will affect the starter bendix drive, causing it to disengage. This is not true on a constant basis but it has been know to happen.

Also, check the top edges of the bendix drive teeth for wear, and more importantly the bottom portion of the flywheel teeth. If the flywheel teeth are beveled in any bottom portion of the flywheel, the bendix gear cannot retain its grip.

The fuel/oil mixture would have no adverse effects on a anti siphon valve.

Check the compresion and spark, then let me know what you find.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC) "

Back