Logo

Joe Sparky Need Help

dennis

Contributing Member
" Joe, Sparky

I am doing a

" Joe, Sparky

I am doing a rebuild on the powerhead of a 1990 200hp Evinrude. I am at the point where I am tiring to separate the lower unit from the mid section, you guessed it, seems to be stuck. All the bolts have been removed and the shift rod disconnected from the cam. I have about an 1/8"
gap from above the prop to a little past half way between the two sections, towards the back no gap. I had the lower unit out about five years ago to replace the water pump, the unit came apart without any problems. I have every thing apart and ready to pull the powerhead. I have heard horror stories where a hole was drilled into the mid section and the shaft had to be cut, there has to be a better way. Any information you guys can provide on how to brake this unit free would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dennis "

If you have the hidden bolt o

If you have the hidden bolt out under the trim tab and the unit will not seperate it is likely that the splines are rusted in place.Other than an atomic bomb the way to seperate is as follows. Drill a hole in the skeg of the lower unit for a shackle and remove the flywheel nut.Install something on the crankthread . Lay the motor on the ground and anchor one end to lets say a tree and the other end to a comealong apply tension till the parts seperate.

Back