Logo

Joe i need your help again

jeff

Contributing Member
" ok i have a 1984 evinrude v4

" ok i have a 1984 evinrude v4 vro . now just the other day it started acting up on me . it ran fine all day , then we anchored to go fishing an i guess maybe an hour or 2 later when we started it back up to go home, it started . it seems to be sucking itself dry . i have to keep pumping the primer bulb in order to keep it running . we limped it home . after a few minutes of running the bulb is empty , thats when you have to pump it to keep the engine going .if you dont pump it it boggs a little, then dies out . i have a full tank of gas so thats not it (lol) , i checked out the fuel line , no cracks or splits , i just rebuilt the carbs so thats ruled out , replaced the check valves on the intake manifold , so i have no idea why this motor is doing this . did i break a reed valve ? if i did that it probably wouldnt start though huh . but know gas is getting to the carbs fine but after the gas you pump in there burns out thats it the motor dies . i need the boat for the fourth of july please help me with this one . its probably a common problem and you know what the deal is . thanks in advance "

"Jeff.... Your explanation of

"Jeff.... Your explanation of the problem and the details of what you've done leads me to believe that either the hose that operates the VRO (the hose at the bottom of the VRO that leads to the block) is faulty, or the VRO itself has failed. By pumping the fuel primer bulb, you are acting as a manual fuel pump. When you quit pumping, the VRO should take over... but it does not. A classic example of a faulty pump.

Hopefully that operating hose is faulty.

Note, if a reed valve failed, that cylinder would not be getting the required fuel... and you would have a fuel mixture being blown out the front of that particular cylinders carburetor.

Joe
"

Back