Logo

Joe do they make a sleeve for drive shaft seals

walkabout

" Joe, I have a v-4 old lower

" Joe, I have a v-4 old lower unit, when preusre testing it under water the drive shaft has a leak on the drive shaft oil seal that seems to folow the shaft as I turn it. It is a little worn and grooved. I did just replace all the seals but I still have a compromise. Do they make a "speedy sleeve" or the like that could be used? Thanks "

"Walkabout.... When you say &#

"Walkabout.... When you say "V/4 old lower unit", I'm assuming that you mean the type that has no retaining pinion nut whereas you can simply pull the driveshaft out. However, it makes no difference to anything except the work involved to remove it.

If the driveshaft bearing is okay and the leak follows the worn and grooved portion of the driveshaft, there is a cure. Many years ago, I ran into that exact problem. The customer did not want to go the expense of a new shaft. He took the shaft to a machine shop and had the groove filled in with a bronze weld which was then machined down to the proper diameter of the shaft.

This was done for a fraction of the cost of a new driveshaft. That cured the leakage problem, and to my knowledge, that engine is still running. Worth a try. What year and HP is your engine.

Joe
"

" Thanks Joe, I was afraid of

" Thanks Joe, I was afraid of that. I was hoping since it is just the seal seat part of the shaft and not the bearing seat there might be a speedy sleeve or the like to quick fix it. It is the older style shaft with the nose cone compnents and the two peice shift rod. Dont really want to spend the money on even a new/used one ($300). Thanks for the timely response and you expertise is always appreciated! "

Back