Logo

Joe b96 130 Johnson again

" I'm the one with the sta

" I'm the one with the starts easy, idles o.k., dies when throttle opened from the start. You said the small passages may be plugged. I pulled the bowl drain plugs and they looked very clean. Do I need to rebuild the carbs?
I failed to mention last time that the gas is quite old. I'm wishing that I would have syphoned it out prior to running. The second time we went out I topped off tank, (10 new and 25 old gallons). We noticed that it ran much better. The third time out we didn't add gas. It ran crappy again. I'm wondering how much effect this old gas is having. Your comments are appreciated.

Mike "

" I have a 40 hp mercury 402,

" I have a 40 hp mercury 402, 1978, that starts and runs but has water coming from the lower spark plug. Is this indicative of a cracked block or could there be another possibility? It had not run for several years before I started it up and this occurred. It had been fogged before storage. Thanks. "

" Mike,

I claim to be no

" Mike,

I claim to be no expert, but, from what I've seen, usually when you have a problem with sour (bad) gas or water in the gas, the engine will start hard, smoke excessivly, and will not run correctly at an idle. It may, or may not run right at high rpm's, and may hesitate when throttled, but you would notice it most when cold starting.
If the engine will start easily, and runs smoothly at a low RPM, but only hesitates when coming to a high RPM (will run fine if brought up slow) , I would think about reasons why the gas isn't there - bad fuel pump, airleak in lines, clogged filter, clogged carbs etc. . If the engine will not run right at high RPM's, or will not make it to high RPM's (even when throttled kindly) I would look at the same issues with some attention paid to timing.
Before you start though, you should really connect another tank (with a known to be good line and connecter), using new gas, to your engine. If it runs well - problem solved; if not, you take the tank, line and gas out of the equation. "

" marty , i had a 402 an 81 i

" marty , i had a 402 an 81 i know what your problem is . i had the same thing happen to mine . if you pull the waterjacket off (the black cover , where the water is coming from) you will see 2 bezels where the plate meets them , i guarentee you one of them has rotted out ,(by the way you will know exactly what i am talking about after you pull the cover off) . the peice where the water is coming from isnt a cylinder hear but rather a water jacket , and i know it has rotted either the cover or the insides . if its the cover , simply replace the cover ($50) when i bought mine. or if its the insides , used marine tex , and reform the part that has rotted away . make sure you seal the gasket real well with "high tact" or permatex , but it lasted me a long time and its better than replacing the whole block "

Back