Logo

Joe and Morten opinions please

"I have been debating, after I

"I have been debating, after I repair my Venom, as to whether it is worthwhile trading in my engine on a new one. I average about 150-250 hours on the water per year depending on weather, ice out/in, wife out/in. My average cost per hour over 15 years with gas and engine maintainance(this engine has been good to me) is approx. $6-10 per hour(from memory, not accurate) on the water.

Your opinions are respected and appreciated.

Here's my situation: 15 large is a substantial amount of coin in my household for a new motor for the toy. The venom runs well with no reason to complain, unless 60mph compared to 69mph when new is a problem over my 15 year ownership. I don't need to keep up with the Jones, but am I at a point where I wonder if newer is cheaper? Or do I wait till the snake blows?

I dabble in the odd tournament as a very amateur father/son team, nothing serious. I like that regular paycheck coming in every 2 weeks.

Have 4 strokes evolved enough to be considered or are they like computers and a new flavor comes out every year?

What is your personal opinion on 2 stroke versus 4 stroke at this present time? I realize that in hrs/days/months this could be a futile endeavor in asking. Fuel saving / maintanance / durability / cost / lifespan / cost per hour are my basic criteria. Speed is in the background. My 15 johnson will blow the sides off any 15hp 4 stroke i have tried to date. Are the larger engines similar?"

"With the running hours You me

"With the running hours You mentioned, it should put the total of Your engine around 2000 hours.I would not be surprized if You would be heading into a total reseal and perhaps gearcase rebuild and powerhead rebuild (bearings etc) in the not too far furure. Perhaps a change might be advisable.
As for 2-stroke versus 4-strokes?
I sold my business a couple of years ago, but still try to keep updated. I went through the introduction of the Fichts with all its funny behavior, and the injected 4-strokes. I even 'certified' for the E-techs and sold quite some of them. Personally I would still not buy a 'big' 4 sroke for my boat. 2-strokes, 4-strokes, E-techs, Optimax - sooner or later they all breaks down and needs service and repair. The fewer parts that may brake down, the less the risk and hopefully the cost. The less wheight I put on my transom, the less stress on the boat, and normally the better performance on the boat. To me the major disadvantage of the 2 strokes might be the 'smell' of the exhaust, and perhaps the noise level at idle, but add some power and that advantage dissappear.
Whatever You buy today You will get an electronic engine management system: ECM, EMM - they run under all kind of short names. But there are differences as well. Some are 'programable' like the E-tech's which means the systems may be uppgraded, just like the Windows on Your computer. Some are 'burned' which leavs You stuck with the programs (Suzuki).
You may go further into the 'enginering/mechanich/material' design of the engines. Most 4-strokes are some sort of modified car engines, at least with a lot of parts from the car industry. The basic design was for a horisontal cranck and not a vertical.They may have been modified , but still.
The 2-strokes are all basically designed as outboards from the start with less of compromises.
However to me one of the major factors when deciding what to buy is the availability of service and parts in the area where I was to use it. Sooner or later everything breaks down, and if You can't get it fixed???
To me it seems that the biggest problems of todays modern engines are not the technology used or the brand/make, but the quality and capability of the local service center. Too many 'outdated' mechs spending more time condemming technologies and engines they do not understand, than updating their own knowledge."

"Your input is greatly appreci

"Your input is greatly appreciated. I just hope the wife doesn't give me one of those "It's me or your new engine, take your pick" kind of comments.

She may not like what I pick."

"If she really wants You back

"If she really wants You back from the trips, not to forget does not want to paddle back from hers, I think SHE should give You one!
light_bulb.gif
"

Back