Logo

Japan made Mariner Engine

DenisR

I have purchased a used 4HP 2 stroke Mariner, made in Japan, having trouble finding year of manufacture. ID plate is
5M 6E3 S 142346. I am looking to obtain a manual
Denis

6E3 also means it's a 5hp.
142346 puts it in 1985 production.
It can be challenging finding correct part numbers for this motor since it's made by Yamaha--but it's a model Yamaha didn't sell in the USA.

6E3 also means it's a 5hp.
142346 puts it in 1985 production.
It can be challenging finding correct part numbers for this motor since it's made by Yamaha--but it's a model Yamaha didn't sell in the USA.
But Yam US did sell an equivalent model. The 5SK model. Which, I suspect, is very close to being the equivalent of the non Yam version.

Parts availability will be more difficult because of the age of the motor.

But Yam US did sell an equivalent model. The 5SK model. Which, I suspect, is very close to being the equivalent of the non Yam version.

Parts availability will be more difficult because of the age of the motor.

I don't know how equivalent that is since the parts diagram for the Yam 5SK shows it's water-cooled, with an impeller and the Mariner 5M is air-cooled and has no impeller in the leg.

Like I said--it can be a challenge.

My hunting had turned up the Yamaha 5BS. Air-cooled. Visually identical except for decals.
Most of the usual online parts suppliers don't show any Yamaha 5hp earlier than 1983. Must be not listed since they weren't distributed to the USA.

There's some YouTube posts for the 5BS from around the globe.

Back