Logo

J150GTLCUR Carburetor Brass Nozzle broke off - how to replace

acbyrd

Hey guys,

I am new to the forum and after searching for a bit I wasn't able to find what I was looking for. Today I was completing the rebuilds on the 3 carbs on my 1987 Johnson 150GT. I noticed that one of the nozzles was severely bent and cracked. I tried to wiggle it and that was the final straw for it, and it broke clean off. Can I just buy this nozzle and replace it? Do I need to buy an entire new carburetor? If someone can point me in the right direction, and maybe even add the part numbers, etc. if you have them, I would be incredibly appreciative! Also, if you could tell me the best way to get the broken piece out, I would appreciate that as well, as I can't find a way to get it out.

First Picture is the broken nozzle, second picture is what it looks like on the other carb where it isn't broken

Broken Nozzle Close.jpgGood Nozzle.jpg

That's a fitting for one of the three fuel primer lines that replaces the older model choke butterfly setup. Yeah... I'd be very interested in just how that would be replaced properly other than having a machine shop do it. Replacing the carburetor... YOW! $$$$$!!

I've never performed any (what is normally called) "Patch Work"... BUT... for what that carburetor would set a guy back, I'd be tempted to simply plug that fitting solidly and let the other two carburetors initially prime the engine for starting. Once the engine fires and starts, the crankcase vacuum would take over instantly for those two cylinders that the carburetor feeds to kick in.

That is for the electric primer to feed in.-----I would make something to do the job or simply block off the hose that feeds it.------Motor would start / run fine with that blocked off.

Easy fix...flip carb over and use a 1/16 flat punch and tap the broken fitting out, order a fitting for newstyle carb with plastic top (0327706). Use a small bit (I forget which size and use as a hand ream to enlarge hole slightly..do not use drill, tap back in place with 1/4 socket and drop of Loctite.

https://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=OMC0327706

Last edited:
Thank you all for the quick responses. If I was going to go the route of just capping it off, what would be the best way to cap off the rubber tube that used to lead to it?

Another question, does it matter which carb I put on the top and the bottom? The middle is obvious as it has the large throttle connector on the side, but the other two seem to be the exact same.

Thank you all for the quick responses. If I was going to go the route of just capping it off, what would be the best way to cap off the rubber tube that used to lead to it?

Top & Bottom carb are identical... no matter which goes where.

There are only two hoses leading from the Fuel Primer Solenoid to the three carburetors. Obviously one line must have a "Tee" in it in order to branch off as a third line.... convert that to a single line with a new hose of proper length... OR... simply bend the now unused hose hose back upon itself and clamp it solidly with a couple small tie straps to create a stopping point.

Back