Logo

J115, 1981 Stalls out when throttling into gear

LDSampson

Engine starts fine, but when throttle is moved into either forward or reverse, the engine stalls. I will then restart and us the choke throttle and just let it run high, then it will engage and go. After running hard, stopping, and turning engine off, I have to go through the same process. Its not right!

The engine has sat for a few years. I would start the engine every couple of months with the muffs and engage forward and reverse, i never got any problem indicators. Once in the water with a load on, i get the above problem. Im sure someone has been through this! I would like some insight please!

I had this problem with a '93 Evinrude 150.
Something easy to check is the position of the cam roller arm in neutral.
Remove the sensor cover (probably) to see the cam roller arm. (Pic 1)
Pic 2 shows where the cam roller should be after shifting back into neutral. It should touching or almost touching the spark cam.
Pic 3 shows where the cam roller should NOT be after shifting back into neutral. There should not be that approximately 1 inch gap between the cam roller and the spark cam.

SensorCover.jpg

GoodGap.jpg

BadGap.jpg

A 93 model 60 degree V-6 is a totally different engine and has different adjustments.-----A compression test is the first thing to do on a 40 year old crossflow V-4.

A 93 model 60 degree V-6 is a totally different engine and has different adjustments.-----A compression test is the first thing to do on a 40 year old crossflow V-4.
I was just trying to share the easy fix I found a few years ago. You're right - different engine, different deal.
With an engine as different from mine, are there not any arms or cams that are advanced/retracted when shifting from neutral to forward/reverse?

Testing compression is of course good and not too hard to do (unless the first tester you rent is bunk like in my case), but for all the suggestions of compression testing, I can't remember seeing a post where low compression turned out to be the problem. I've of course not read every post in this Johnson/Evinrude forum.

Most V-4 crossflow motors sold in 1981 have suffered from broken piston rings !-----A failure mode that has and will happen to 9 out of 10 of them.----On motors built from 1973 to 1998.-----Have a bunch of them in the parts shed.

Most V-4 crossflow motors sold in 1981 have suffered from broken piston rings !-----A failure mode that has and will happen to 9 out of 10 of them.----On motors built from 1973 to 1998.-----Have a bunch of them in the parts shed.
That's good information to know, thank you.

Back