Logo

Issues with Johnson outboard motor

Scape85

Good day all,

I recently bought a motor and boat and got if fixed and good to go at a marine mechanic but I've had trouble since I put the boat in the water and I want to make sure it isn't something wrong that I'm doing.

When we put the boat in the water it started almost right away and we circled around for a couple minutes and turned it off. It took a long time to start the motor again as we were drifting off towards the shoreline. After turning the key a bunch of times the sound of the motor started changing and it finally caught.. we managed to get to full speed and get the boat to the dock (other side of the lake from the boat launch)

- Issues since then is that it has a lot of trouble starting. If the motor is slightly raised and even partially out of the water it seems to start easier, where we put the motor down after.
- Sometimes we start it in idle and as soon as we put it forward or reverse it dies
- if we get it running now we can't get it up to even medium speed before it gets jerky then slows down almost like I quickly reduced the speed manually.
- either the battery is draining very quickly or there's another issue, but the buttons to bring the motor up doesn't work after a while on the water

when I called the mechanic they said the most likely issue with the motor not getting speed is it not getting enough of the game. They said the mix of oil and gas being off wouldn't really explain the problem. Any ideas?

Thanks
I'll have to get the model number of the outboard but it is a Johnson 70hp on a boatliner capri 1983

Did you choke the motor after it warmed up? It could be you flooded the motor the first time when it wouldnt start after it was warm. Your motor should have all fixed jets you will need to do a good diagnostics to determine why it stalls when you put it in gear. Are there any elevation differences from where your running and where the boat was last run? You should never have to choke the motor the rest of the day after it has been fully warmed up takes about 4-5 minutes.

Back