Logo

issues with a 60hp chrysler outboard

cvan

so i have a 60hp chrysler.top hole had 130psi compression and the bottom hole had almost nil.pulled the head off and seen the head gasket let go.put a new head gasket and now have 70 psi in each hole,and no the head and block are not warped.and another issue is the carbs were so full of sticky crap and rotten old fuel it was just pitiful,got them clean and fresh fuel/oil mixture filling them but by the time the fuel gets to the spark plugs it tries to fire but just wont,and the plugs are soaked with that rotten smelling garbage i cleaned from the carbs.is it possible that this crappy old fuel is making things stick somewhere internal and causing compression issues for me as well.2 cycle engines are new to me and would appreciate any help,my first boat and would sure like to get her on the water soon.

If you went from 130 on 1 and 0 on another.Then to 70 on both then the head gasket isin't working.
Low compression and it won't run right no mater what kind of gas it's getting.
After the carbs are cleaned and the head gasket is installed right.The cylinders and reeds will clean up.
Sea foam or Powertune will help.
But low comp is your problem.Both at 70# means it leaking between the cylinders.J

Back