Logo

Is this worth fixingdamaged piston

got new problem....took head o

got new problem....took head off today to check why no compression on 1 cylinder and it went for the worst. apears that something (im thinking a ring) broke off inside the cylinder and was slaming between the piston and head...it damaged the piston of course but it also left indintions in the head..im having trouble finding out prices to fix because i dont have parts #'s which most sites require. both heads have (79280) on the side of them. ive got a friend machinist that can bore the cylinder out. manuel said i can go from a 3.125" to a 3.140" without the weight of the bigger piston being any higher. does anyone thinks its worth the trouble. im was looking up part prices to see but dont know where to look by year or serial#. or what all do i need to forward to replacing as far as gaskets. do they have full gasket set to cover all.

The only way is to take the en

The only way is to take the entire block apart.Inspect / evaluate condition of all parts and then decide.If all you need is one o/s piston and new rings and gaskets it should be worth doing.Don't forget to clean carburetors to prevent a repeat of the problem.

plannig on rebuilding carbs...

plannig on rebuilding carbs...already have kits because i thought it was flooding out until i found out that i was only running on 5 cyls. quick question....the damage to the head..does it need to be replaced or can it be smoothed back down. whatever was in there was slamming between the piston and the head.. wheres a good place to order a head...wish i had a way to send a pic..the other 5 cyls. look great to be a 79 and never rebuilt..im trying to find where i can look p parts by year and possible ser# i dont know the part# which is what most sites require..

log onto mercruiser parts . co

log onto mercruiser parts . com serch by piture you can find all your high priced part nubers there those dings in head are from the rings if you cannot get all metal out and make smooth you will create hot spots shoul replce cyl head v6 or inline?

Back