Logo

Is this my speedo

fieldsy

"My intention was to buy a spe

"My intention was to buy a speedo with pitot, cable for my speedboat, as the local river I intend to use has quite a few speed restrictions due to moorings, and I'm never quite sure what speed I'm doing. Having looked at the front end of the lower unit, there is about 3 inches of rubber pipe protruding from the lower unit, which looks like it has been cut?. Firstly, would this be an original speedo cable, and if so, is it just a matter of re-connecting a new pipe to wherever this piece goes and running it to the back of a speedo dial. I'm assuming, I'll have to remove the lower unit again...(sigh, after just replacing impeller). This would stop me having to get a pitot type fixing if it is an existing speedo. Sorry, its a 75hp mariner approx '96-'98.

Thanks

Fieldsy"

"there is no (cable).

"there is no (cable). It works off of water pressure. The hose you refer to sounds like the right one. The lower unit has a very small orifice/hole in the leading edge that the water runs into and into that hose, that water pressure runs the speedo. That orifice also likes to get clogged with crap. Blow into that hose and see if you feel air flow at the lower unit edge. Simply splice into that hose with a plastic barb to reconnect."

"Thanks JB,

That, hopefully

"Thanks JB,

That, hopefully will save me quite a bit of trouble. So, just reconnect the bit showing with a new piece of rubber speedo hosing and run it to the back of a speedo dial, yes ??.

Just had a look, and there's a small 2mm hole about 2inches from the bottom front of the lower unit. I have cleared it with a pin, and blown down the 3 inch piece of hose showing,and can feel air coming from the tiny hole.So its working fine, just need to get a speedo and rubber hosing. I'm assuming a plastic barb, is a joiner ??. Is there a particular item for this? or common household name. Not sure where I would get such a small item in the UK or begin to look ............lol

Thanks for your input JB, certainly saved me the money and effort to fix up a pitot and hose connection.

thanks again

Fieldsy"

"No local marine shops around

"No local marine shops around in UK? Sometimes you get what you pay for. Never heard of that brand, may work. Water pressure gauges are all I have heard of."

"Thanks JB

Most are expensi

"Thanks JB

Most are expensive in the UK, and most are full kits, some are dial only, but up to £30, so if it does the trick for $15 I'll give it a go. Also the tubing is only 20 cents per foot. I've put in an order, and so far its let me register a UK address. So here's hoping its all ok.........lol

Thanks again for your help.

Paul"

"Just checked the map, if ther

"Just checked the map, if there are no marine supply store there, I'm packing my bags and moving. Nothing but water, nice."

"Lol....you'd be welcome m

"Lol....you'd be welcome m8, just a river and a few locals. Even better we only have one main road in the village where I live...............and where does it end ???, right at the rivers edge slipway. Straight from house to river in less than 2 mins.......lol"

Hey Paul the other thing to co

Hey Paul the other thing to consider if the river you run has a good current is that the speedo will always be a little off. Faster up current and slower down current. When we run our jet boats on the river we rely entirely on GPS speed as its more accurate. Again its dependant on the speed of the current of course....just food for thought!!

Cheers Norm

Back