Logo

Is this enough

hoseman

Contributing Member
"Hello I have the 5.7 350 mag.

"Hello I have the 5.7 350 mag.1991 model and its time to put her away and this is the first time I have winterized an inboard .What I did was put stabile in the fuel tank ran the motor for 15 min sprayed fogging oil in the carb 1/2 can then shut off motor wrapped the carb with a shopping bag and taped it.Removed the two block plugs water came out fine and ran a wire in the holes,removed the hose at the elbows on the manifold,removed the riser plugs,then installed all the above.Then I removed the water pump hoses and poured -50 rv anti freeze in all the hoses (intake and to the block)poured it in the raw water intake hose and put it back together question is is this enough? please reassure me or steer me in the right direction if this is not enough .I don't want to be writing a discussion on how to fix a cracked block in the spring thanks you all have been a great help Darrin"

"Did you pour a quart of antif

"Did you pour a quart of antifreeze into each hose that goes from the T'stat housing to the exhaust manifolds and risers?

Pour a gallon of antifreeze into the circulating pump hose from the top end?

Change the engine oil and filter?

Drain the OD oil and refill from the bottom up?

Lube all the zerk fittings on the OD, coupler and power steering?

Disconnect and remove batteries and store in the garage off the concrete floor--attach charge maintainer or charge monthly.

Store OD in the down position and tilt trailer just enough to allow any water inside to drain out?

Open engine cover and all storage hatches for air flow?

Service trailer wheel bearings? Put the trailer on blocks to keep the tires off the ground.

Secure boat cover in a manner to allow air flow under it to stop mildew growth."

"You have pockets of water tra

"You have pockets of water trapped in there and, in the Spring, there might be cracks in all kinds of expensive parts! Yikes. The only safe way to prevent that is to run the pink stuff through with the engine RUNNING.

Jeff

PS: The jury's still out on fogging with the motor running. I pull the distributor wire and wheel it over for 10-15 seconds while spraying the fogger in the carb. Why let it enter the cylinders and be burned away (with the motor running)?"

"Fastjeff:

I was taught by

"Fastjeff:

I was taught by a dealer mechanic to fog while running. Never thought of your method; I like it better. You seniors have great knowledge.
uhoh.gif

Questions: Do you fog a cold or warm engine?

Anti-freeze: I read that the "pink stuff" does not have rust inhibiters like the "blue marine antifreeze" does. What are your thoughts Jeff?"

"I fog just after running the

"I fog just after running the pink stuff through. On rust inhibiters, the block and exhaust system is filled with pink stuff, and the boat is laid up for only a few months, so I'm not concerned. Agreed?

Jeff"

God I am glad we dont have to

God I am glad we dont have to winterize our boats.

You have to love a climate where you can go boating all year round.

Cheers
Peter C

"Peter: I hate you! (Jus

"Peter: I hate you! (Just kidding.) Hell, we need to get away from boating for a few months anyhow. Gotta get a few things done around the house. See? It works out well.

Jeff

PS: Still hate you!"

"Generally, what I do is remov

"Generally, what I do is remove all of the plugs, let it drain and then start pouring in anti-freeze. As it starts pouring out the plug holes, replace them. When all plugs are replaced, pour anti-freeze until it comes out the exhaust."

"Jeff & Brett

You can t

"Jeff & Brett

You can tell by the look of my house that we have a long boating season, I had the place I am in built 9 years ago (and by the way it is only about 3 minutes walk to where my boat is mored)
and the yard is still along way from finished.

Its a matter of priorities and an understanding wife.

If you want to realy hate me just think about me between Xmas and new years, the temps will be around the mid 30'S C, the winds will be light from the NE, the beer will be cold and the fish will be plentifull.

Now do you realy hate me ???

Cheers
Peter C"

"Peter:

"an understandi

"Peter:

"an understanding wife"; do they exist? Does she go boating with you? If she stays home, I would return early and knock on the front door and then run around the back to see who runs out!
uhoh.gif
Sorry Peter; just kiddin'."

"Guy
Yes they do exist, I am

"Guy
Yes they do exist, I am a fortunate man, she who must be obey'd will often ask "are we going out on the boat this weekend".
She loves reclining on the back of the boat with a cold wine in her hand.
Because I work pretty horrible hours she lets me get away with blue murder, mind you circumstances may change if we sell our business and I have a bit more time on my hands.

Cheers
Peter C"

"most of the time if you live

"most of the time if you live where you dont have to winterize your boats, you will have to leave your home because of a hurricane.
115388.jpg
storm tracks

"Jeff

This is where I realy

"Jeff

This is where I realy get to rub it in

33 degree 04' 09.22" South
151 degree 34' 59.05" East
That would normaly sit you on the bow of my boat on the mooring in a light NE breeze.

Check it out on Google Earth if you like.

Average winter air temp 14-15 degree C, water temp approx the same.
Average Summer air temps 34-35 degree C, water temps approx 20 degree C

No Cyclones this far south, the odd bad storm, 20 minutes drive to some of the best sandy beaches in Oz, half an hour drive to some of the best wineries in Oz, 1 hours drive to Sydney, 20 minutes run in boat from mooring to Open ocean, 6 Licensed clubs within 20 minutes from my mooring.

Not to mention the fantastic Fishing !

That should do it, now I bet I have realy cheesed you all off.

Isnt it time you started to look for your thermals over there
rofl.gif

Sorry Guys am I forgiven ??

Peter C"

"Peter:

59 F. to 95 F. temp

"Peter:

59 F. to 95 F. temps. year round; you poor boy! The Brits were pretty good to their political prisoners when you stop and think of what they did. Sent them all to Paradise! Duhhhhhhhhh! You lucky stiff. If she leaves me, I'm coming."

"Rare is the man that can come

"Rare is the man that can come home after a hard days work, tune everything out, and simply relax with his feet up in front of a Roaring wife..
rofl.gif
snow.gif
"

Ah yes we do love our heritage

Ah yes we do love our heritage.

Its about the only good thing the brits ever did was to send our for fathers over here for punishment while they stayed at home.

Always a cold beer in the fridge Guy.

Cheers
Everyone

Back