Logo

Is the BF20D silencer carb gasket essential?

Hi Guys
The fancy gasket between the plastic silence box and the carb face is somewhat shredded and broken. I have ordered another one but in the meantime if I run without the gasket will if affect running as it could suck air between the silencer and the carb face ..Honda obviously include it for a reason I guess. Thanks for any hints on whether to wait or even make up one??

Item 3 in the link below?

If so, I don't think it would do much, if any, harm to run without it but it might interrupt air flow to the carb to some degree and probably negate the noise suppression that the muffler provides.

With a bit of patience, you could make a reasonable replacement from an inexpensive sheet of gasket material sourced from pretty much any auto parts store. The stuff comes in several thicknesses.

I imagine that you could also use some silicone gasket maker If you you wanted.

If you decide to run without the. gasket, keep in mind that when the bolts are tightened it might deform the flange surfaces. That could interfere with getting an airtight fit when you do have a gasket to install.

Good luck.

Hmmmm.

It's interesting to me that you have submitted MANY more posts than I have seen until I researched your user profile.

I was completely unaware that you had no success with clearing the primary jet and had subsequently fitted a replacement carb until I looked.

This site suffered an unusual amount of SPAM recently. So much so that I considered it an "attack". Now I'm wondering if there's a connection?

At any rate, I am very pleased to see that you got your 20D running.

However, if you continue to have idling issues AFTER you refit the muffler gasket, you may want to take a look at valve adjustment settings. If I recall correctly, you ordered a shop manual so the necessary info for checking the valve adjustment will be there.

Also, please know that these outboards idle best at approximately 900 rpm. For many, especially trolling fishermen, that is too high. But, lowering the idle will usually affect idle "smoothness".

Good luck.

Hi ..actually I managed to use a little smear of marine silicone to stick the gasket to the silencer BUT that wasn't the issue I was facing ..only after I took the cover off did I notice the the inner carb fixing bolt had "missed" the gasket so after sorting that out the motor runs sweetly, quiet as a mouse and all in all a delight!! Yeah I still have a syringe of carb cleaner sitting on the primary jet tube (the acetone/atf fluid also did nothing so the new carb works perfectly and idle seems to be good at 900 rpm as you suggested.

A definite NO to spam (I just ask a LOT of questions ) but have always had the utmost respect for forums and their members! so no connection at all to the spam you are finding. Just grateful thanks for the amazing advice!!

Oh! I wasn't AT ALL implying that you had done anything to spam the site! So sorry if it sounded like that!

So glad your new carb did the trick!

Now you have an old one to tinker with and try to figure out how to clear that tube. OR...you could rob parts from it if needed.

Hope you get some real satisfying time on the water now that you have a sweet running BF20D!

Take care out there.

Back