Logo

Is the 1993 Johnson 70 a good outboard??? The good, the bad, and the ugly

Elrod84

Just bought an 87 Alumacraft Classic 16 and the outboard on it lost compression in one cylinder (an 80s Mariner 60)... I have found a 93 Johnson 70 outboard that appears to be pretty solid. I'm new to the boating world... good, bad, or ugly about this year / model Johnson? Also, anything specific to swapping outboards. Thanks for any info

Just bought an 87 Alumacraft Classic 16 and the outboard on it lost compression in one cylinder (an 80s Mariner 60)... I have found a 93 Johnson 70 outboard that appears to be pretty solid. I'm new to the boating world... good, bad, or ugly about this year / model Johnson? Also, anything specific to swapping outboards. Thanks for any info
They are very good engines depending if they were taken care of or not. Check compression or test drive if possible.

Post some pictures of the 93 motor.-----A very good motor when it left the factory.----No telling what the 3 previous owners have done to it.------People have new ways of damaging them all the time.

Here’s some pics. Trying to get some of under the cowling.
IMG_2810.jpgIMG_2811.jpgIMG_2812.jpgIMG_2814.jpg
Compression is 125 on all 3 cyl

Items replaced: carb rebuilt, plugs, fuel pump, fuel lines, ECU, all electrical parts, choke, water pump, prop

Back