Logo

Is it 175 or is it 225 help

zaks90v8

"i bought a 88 oceanic offsho

"i bought a 88 oceanic offshore 209 boat it came with a 1988 175vro so i thought but the hood says 175 i cant find a serial for the outboard when i was calling a dealer and i was tring to find that little red primer valve well i read the numbers off a plug on top of motor and they said that would be a 225 motor not thinking i said must be wrong number . well the boat sits in storage and im in iraq and im about to order some stuff and i had some trouble finding part number for 35amp regulator i know mine is water cooled and it says that one is for 185 and up so is it posible to have a bigger power head? its been replaced but i dont know how long ago looks in good condition runs great cept not tach or charging so if anyone know some easy differences for the 225 and 175 other than numbers thanks zac
285458.jpg
engine

I would trust the numbers on t

I would trust the numbers on the plug that you found. That is the surest way to identify the block.

"The serial number on the bloc

"The serial number on the block shows the block information however this can be misleading if the power head was replaced. Mine per the core plug shows a 1987 120 , in fact it is a 1987 140 since I did this power head replacement myself.
What is important is to use multiple parts to identify exactly what you have , like your carburetors and reed plates, power pack etc.."

Back