Logo

Intermittent problem 2001 mercruiser 4.3l 262 cid EFI

It runs between 150 - 175. Is that about normal?
As long as it hovers at 160 F. when cruising it is fine. Since it is raw water cooled it should stay right at 160 F. A new impeller will keep it there...a new thermostat can't hurt it...11 years is long enough for it. Get a Merc. T'stat and impeller.

Ok, I replaced the impeller, thermostat and then when running it with muffs on I noticed the circulating water pump was dripping out the bottom weep hole. The old one is off and the replacement is on the way. I found this document, http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Bullet/99/99_07.pdf and ordered the check valve mentioned in it. When vapor lock occurs can it be corrected by loosening the fuel line releasing the pressure and then re-connecting it?

Ok, I replaced the impeller, thermostat and then when running it with muffs on I noticed the circulating water pump was dripping out the bottom weep hole. The old one is off and the replacement is on the way. I found this document, http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Bullet/99/99_07.pdf and ordered the check valve mentioned in it. When vapor lock occurs can it be corrected by loosening the fuel line releasing the pressure and then re-connecting it?

I had a similar starting problem with my Larson 29ft with two 4.3L Mercruser with 2 barrel Carbs, it would run fine, but if left for a day or so would start up but after about 15 seconds or so would stop and would just refuse to start. If I took the filters off the carb and squirt in a drop of gas it would start up and soon stop. On my boat when i turn on the ign the fuel pumps run. Well when I disconnect the fuel line to the carb and turn on the ign fuel flows at a good rate, so I took the top off the carb and there was no fuel in the bulb. You can check this out by looking down the barrel of the carb holding open the choke and pumping the throttle you should see fuel squirting out, if not then the float boal is most likely empty. In my case just replacing the needle valve assembly has fixed my problem.

Hope this helps someone,
Mike

I just installed a 383 stoker, first hour with a load on the engine at sea trial. a hose clamp release flooding the bilge. this happened several times before i rebuilt he complete hose system. From that day i have nothing but trouble. fuel system failed, new elec pump, fuel cooler, new fuel rail and injectors all at 17 hours. Engine now start cold but after heating up and running for a couple hours it will crank but not fire. operates a 175 degree.

when the engine cools down approx 20 hours the engineer fired immediately. the boat is in the yard and will start but not comfortable with going out and tuning is off.

Back