Logo

Intermittent electric shift

Buck79

I have a 1972 Evinrude 50 hp while in neutral idle speed will kick into forward gear. Battery is a full 12.7 volts, both solenoids check out at 6 ohms. I have had some evidence of water in lower unit but change it faithfully. With fresh lube in the unit I started motor in the water to set carbs as I just put kits in and not two minutes after start up motor kicked into forward for about thirty seconds then back to neutral and did so the entire time in the water. Back at garage I drained the lower unit and no visible signs of water. Any thoughts?

Those motors are in forward by default. That's why when the motor is off the lower unit is in forward. Power to one solenoid lets the hydraulic pressure keep it in neutral. Power to both solenoids puts the unit in reverse. No power to either solenoid lets the unit stay in forward. You must use the correct gear lube and it cannot have water in it for the unit to shift properly.

I think I have a pretty good understanding of the electric shift system. I am using type C lube and know the water situation is not good which is why I was dumbfounded when there was no water in the lower unit during the time I was setting the carbs. Wondering about the push button switches at the controls?

Back