Logo

Intermittent beeping on 1997 Mercury Bigfoot 60

BFoley830

Gentlemen I have an intermittent beeping just when you turn key on before you start. It doesn't go off when engine running either. Any help. Trying to change ignition to see if that helps. Thought it was oil related but haven't figured that out quite yet either...Thank you in advance for any help.

Intermittent is oil level sensor. Inside the oil tank on the engine is a switch and magnet.....so I'm told. To get at it you have to cut the tank in half, replace the magnet or switch....the one said to fall off and drop to the bottom of the tank as would happen with no oil, and glue your tank back together.....I'm told....very reliable source.

I had that problem on my 2002 engine recently and decided I could just keep my eye on the level and forget the switch. No more than I boat and with 3 quart capacity and 50:1 ratio, it takes awhile to drain the tank.....I just make it part of my clean up procedure after a trip to replace the oil I used.

2 blue wires come from the tank on my engine...one goes to engine ground the other to the warning module. Disconnect the bayonet connector on either and it will stop your horn from blowing for that problem but the horn will be there for you if you have an over temp problem. What you do after that is your business.

Back